Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A few quick things

Today was my first day on the floor with patients. I guess it went good...I didn't kill or permanently harm anyone! 2 big things to share-one really cool, and the other really weird, but also cool.

Today I was signing off on some Dr's order, and I got to sign my name: H Knapp RN. That made me smile.

I also got to give medications. After pulling them, I took them to my preceptor and asked her to check them. She gave me a really weird look and then said "honey, you're a nurse now, you don't get your meds checked!" During nursing school, it was a HUGE thing to get your meds checked by either your instructor or your preceptor. You pulled your meds really early, and then stood in line waiting for the teacher to look and make sure you had the right med, right dose, right time, right patient. Anyway, it was a little scary to give medications without anyone making sure I was doing it right. Scary, weird, and very cool. :)

Anyway, it's 9pm and since I have to get up at 5:15am, I'm going to head to bed.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

YOU ARE ACTUALLY WORKING AS A NURSE!!!

Amazing.

and congratulations.

:D

Kristi said...

Heidi! So excited for you!!! That's so fun that you are done with school!

Mawshy said...

That is so fun! Those are both cool stories. I don't know if I'd want to be the patient in the hands of the first-week-on-the-job nurse. Well maybe you... but not just anyone :)

You get to be H Knapp, RN. I look forward to signing M Cox, CPA. That's still a LONG way away though!!